Saturday, January 31, 2009

Fading Grey

I see the world in technicolor. Filled with bright yellows, radiant oranges, the most vibrant of reds, royal of blues, and deep of purples. I am black and white, slowly fading to grey. When the morning awkens me I look in a mirror at all of the color behind me, then at myself staring back like a blemish. One dark mark on a gorgeous, colorful, silk garment. It never bothered me before that I was black and white in a world full of color for these extremities include all color. I felt that I was a representation of all color, and at the same time a vast contrast to the rest of the world, always recognizable, always different. I was unlike anyone else, not a shade of red or blue. I was all or nothing. Then, one day, awkened by sunlight I arose and ritualistically looked into the mirror and could see my black and white self fading at the seams. Where there once existed harsh lines between the light and dark areas that made me, I now included shades of grey. Perplexed by my plight I went ahead with my day, only slighty melancholy. I pretended I did not see myself fading and continued for weeks as best I could. It was not long before I reached a point at which I could no longer ignore my fading self and decided to sit alone thinking until I found either a reason and solution, or strength and acceptance. No sooner than I began thinking did I realize that maybe I was fading as a result of the "usual". I had been doing the same thing daily, I looked for nothing new, I expected everything to be the same as it was before. I was a prisoner of the "usual", trapped in day to day rituals. Hope, goals, and dreams had become a scarcity and so, surrounded by color,I stood, black and white- fading grey.

No comments:

Post a Comment